Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Count of Monte Cristo


Part of my plan for this blog is to review work I've read awhile ago. I am doing this for two reasons: firstly, it'll help me out if a book takes me a few weeks to read...in other words, if I get lazy, I'll just talk about something I read ages ago. Secondly, I have plenty to say about books I've already read, and I don't want to simply focus on what I am reading now. And it's my blog, so I can do what I want!
It was a tough decision whether to review The Cont of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers first. They are both by Dumas and both are so stinking amazing. But I guess Monte Cristo wins by a sword (ha!) This book is the definition of swashbuckling. I mean if someone said, "what does swashbuckling mean?" I would look slightly puzzled, scratch my head, then brighten up and declare, "Aha! Read, The Count of Monte Cristo"!
The "Count" is an young gentleman who, because of his favor with his superiors and the love of his girl, arouses the jealousy of a few of his acquaintances. They decide to get even with him, arranging circumstances that lead to him being arrested. In prison, things seem bleak, but the Cont has some good luck come his way. He also uses his smarts and makes the best of a bad situation. Finally, he re-enters society, disguised as the mysterious Count of Monte Cristo. I don't want to spoil it by telling you all the particulars because they are really wonderful, charming details and I would hate to gyp you out of discovering them for yourself. All I can say is, he is bent on revenge on has the means to get it.
I suppose I love this book so much because of the Count. He is devastatingly attractive. What woman wouldn't like a mysterious, brilliant, dangerous, wealthy Frenchman? The passion that he feels is contagious, and while reading this I was rooting for him on every page. As an author, Dumas is a genius. His dialogue is excellently crafted, his plots are airtight, his sense of time and place are perfect. Even Though his books are considered "classics', I can't help but feel he does not get the credit as a writer that he deserves. Few authors whom I have read are in his league. He just can write a good story with good characters that you'll stay up 'til 3:00 a.m. reading.
And I must say, if one were ever inclined to embrace the technology of the Kindle and other similar devices, this book would be great for it. The story is long, and lugging the big book around is a pain. Actually, I put off reading this for years because a friend had bought it for me and it looked like too much of a time investment.....I mean, the thing was so thick. Then I decided to try a smaller version with smaller print, and it was just easier to handle and easier to read. So, lesson learned; if a book ever intimidates you by it's size, shop around for another size that fits you more. Nobody wants to go read poolside with a book double the width of the Bible.
This is far and away one of my favorite books. It is engrossing, exciting, romantic, funny. it is worth noting that the author lived a thrilling, adventurous lifestyle, so "knows about which he speaks." Hope you like it as much as I did.

No comments: